Friday, July 20, 2007

On to the 20th

The dining room corner of crap has been cleared out, and the computer desk is fairly decent, although I am beginning to think that there are crap gnomes that roam my house at night and deposit more shit on the desk. I've packed up and moved most of the big stuff from the basement to the appropriate corners of the attic. Still have to do a bit on the wooden bookshelf, the top of the pool table has about a half-dozen projects that need to be moved elsewhere or completed, and the bookshelf that is falling apart needs to be completely dismantled. Other than that, the basement is not terrible -- it's ALMOST ready for the "Get to Home Depot and buy the sheetrock!" conversation.

Also started the toy room cleanout. Threw out 4 bags of broken things and a huge assortment of fast-food-meal toys, set aside things to give our neighbor with the one-year-old, and packed up boxes for the attic and to send to Mame and Wome's. After all that -- I barely put a dent in things. That was a bit frustrating. However, given the scale of things, I think the next really big push to organize and clean out should be when everything goes downstairs to the basement once Hubby is done with the walls, floor and new lighting (I detest the fluorescent industrial lighting he has there now). I can't wait to have a real playroom/toy room downstairs where the kids can go hang out and play.

Bad news: Hubby dropped something (he swears it was a spice jar) on the glass top of the stove, and he broke it. He has crisscosses of blue painters tape going all over the stovetop to keep the pieces together until it's replaced. The part alone is over $300, so my thinking is that if we have to pay for a service call, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new stove. How wasteful does that seem???

Today was The Boy's last day of camp, and Drama Queen has about 7-8 more days (she is done July 31) of daycare. As this day was my final day without any children this summer (not counting trip to Vegas), I think I did pretty well getting most of my goals accomplished or nearly accomplished.

Still to do:
Paint my bedroom. Hubby is being difficult about this as he doesn't want to sleep anywhere else. I can't imagine sleeping in noxious paint fumes for the first night or two. Eeuuuww.
Basement: clear bookshelves. Fix or throw out crappy bookshelf unit. File papers. Clear pool table.
Downstairs bathroom: go through cabinets and throw out crap. Reorganize so that towels are in closed cabinet. Put something pretty in open cabinet. Hang beach-theme platter over sink area.
Sewing projects: Fix pile of skirts that need new hems. Finish DQ's quilt that needs binding. Makeover curtains into roman shades for master bedroom.

None of that's getting done this weekend. Harry Potter #7 arrives tomorrow, and DQ has a birthday party. I think I have to go over to FIL's tomorrow, but Harry is coming with me and I will be completely asocial until I'm done with it.

No comments: