Friday, July 13, 2012

2012... The Summer The House Begins To Look Like Grownups Live Here

Once again the list is long and daunting, but the grands have been here and gone on back towards home.  Granny (with not nearly as much help from me as I should have) made new curtains for the kitchen, and it looks much nicer in there.  DQ has a new rug and rug pad up in her room, and I moved the Boy's desk downstairs into the office after the aerobed up and died on Granny and Papa.  We bought new mattress pads to go on the hideabed so it wasn't such a disaster to sleep on, and Papa declared that a success.  Actually he snored that.
Have the office better set up for working this year -- new lights, new office chair and small throw rugs under the chairs by both desks.
Up in the batter's box:
Painting the kitchen and the cabinets, and that will go into the bathroom and the few walls left where I haven't managed to cover up the el-cheapo paneling that we have been ignoring since we moved in.  Decided to just go with white for the kitchen but paint the shelves and the back door deep red to give it a little oompf.  We'll see how that works out.  The bathroom's going to have to be off-white, but it won't take much.   I might also attempt switching out the showerhead in the first floor bathroom, but that's likely going to take Rainman to complete as my plumbing experience is minimal.
Have to get upstairs in the bathroom and finish the couple of places on the walls Rainman ignored when he ripped out the old tub surround and did a big tile/shower door install up there.  That will require a little leftover white paint from the kitchen and probably a little creative molding buying/nailing/painting.
The Boy's room is in dire need of decent shelving, which I am sure Rainman will tell me he can't possibly tackle that until the fall.  But I can measure and design and bother him anyway.
DQ's desk in her room is missing one damn drawer, which I know is up hiding in the attic somewhere.  You would think with the number of times I have cleaned that place out, I'd have it together, but no.  The Crap Gnomes have been busy little bastards up there.  Anyway, her desk needs some organizing, and the contents of the cabinets in her room need some shifting around so she can actually use the ones above her desk.  Thinking it would be good to create a corkboard space in the corner and across the wall in back of her desk.  It would hide the *ahem* interesting patch jobs where Rainman had some difficulty removing the sink and plumbing (her room used to be the kitchen upstairs when the house was a two-family and we had renters on the second floor).
There are closets to clean out again as well, weight to lose, exercising to do (that's going to be tougher as I'm still not 100% after spraining my ankle 3 weeks ago), and children and cats to manage.


No comments: