Friday, August 27, 2010

Summer's Over and the Goals Are...

Well, the goals are some met, some in progress, and we have some new ones in play.
I think I did a good job on the clean out/donate end of things, and my bills/receipts organizing is overall much better than it was (not perfect, but wasn't expecting that without massive medication and paid assistance). The weight - well, lost some to start, had some setbacks, but I have a basic plan for the school year. We'll see how well I can hold onto that and keep a slow pace of losing a little each week. I think I can manage it most days, especially with the new tracking app and the walking/running (ha) app.
My biggest accomplishment was getting a plan together to get rid of the debt I've accumulated, especially the chunk from last year's funerals and all. I now have a loan the takes care of about 3/4 of the debt immediately, with 48 months to repay at a low interest and low monthly payment -- which means I'll be able to tackle the rest of the debt faster and get rid of that. There are no early payment penalties, so I do not have to take 4 years to get rid of the biggest chunk, and I think that barring some other family disaster, I could potentially be credit-card-debt-free in 2 1/2 years. I could not have managed that without my credit union working for me and helping me consolidate like this -- it just wasn't making a big enough dent paying the way the credit card companies set up. But then, that would be the point for them -- maximize the amount of time you spend paying them, right?
It's good to have the time to think through all of this and tackle goals that are doable. It makes such a difference to be able to accomplish short term goals as well as long term goals.

No comments: